Required products: Tool Factory Word Processor V2
Customizing the interface is a great feature for working in the inclusion classroom. Teachers can save different interfaces for different students so that special education students aren’t being singled out. No students in the class need know that a lower ability student is working at an easier level.
SAVE A CUSTOM INTERFACE
1) Click WP icon. It’s in the upper left corner above the menus. (Mac – click the apple)
2) Click CUSTOMIZE. The configuration window opens.
3) Each checkbox represents a different icon or feature of the program. Check the ones you want and uncheck the rest.
4) At the top of the configuration window, you’ll see a drop down menu that currently reads, “Default Config”. Click the tiny down arrow.
5) Select an “Empty” slot. The drop down menu now reads “Empty”
6) Click the “Save Configuration” button.
7) Enter in the name of this configuration such as, “First Grade” or “Jeffrey”.
8) Click OK.
9) Click OK to close configuration window.
Now repeat this process to set up a configuration for the next student or class. Set up these configurations once, then use them throughout the year. As the students gain confidence, teachers can introduce new features one-at-a-time, and re-save in the configuration window.
Download step-by-step instructions
Mac users: To download, ctrl-click on the worksheet and choose "save link to disk"
Click images to enlarge|