|Writing About Autumn
Required products: Tool Factory Word Processor
Writing utensil for each student
Poster paper and crayons (for follow-up activity)
In this lesson the students will brainstorm ideas about autumn and then write an acrostic poem using those ideas.
1. The teacher will download and print the two worksheets "Autumn Brainstorm" and "Autumn Acrostic", and make copies for the students.
2. Introduce the concept of an acrostic poem, or review if it isn't new.
3. Pass out the brainstorm worksheet.
4. Give the students time to come up with as many ideas as they can about autumn.
5. After the brainstorming time is up, pass out the acrostic worksheet.
6. Tell students to use their ideas from the brainstorm sheet to complete their acrostic poem.
Have the students share their poems with the class or with a partner. Also, students can make a final copy of their acrostic on poster paper and draw pictures to go with it. These can be used to decorate the classroom.
This lesson can be done in either an English class or a science class. The poetry relates to English and writing and autumn/seasons relate to science.
Mac users: To download, ctrl-click on the worksheet and choose "save link to disk"
6th Grade Technology Teacher
Argyle Middle School
Owings Mills MD
Click images to enlarge|