|Find the Area
Required products: Tool Factory Word Processor
Students will find the area of shapes by clicking and dragging squares over each shape.
1) Open the "Find the Area" worksheet in Tool Factory Word Processor.
2) Select FILE>SAVE AS and save the worksheet as the student's own.
3) Show the student how to click and drag red squares from the bottom of the page into each shape.
4) Have the student complete the worksheet by dragging the red squares to cover each shape.
5) Have students count to number of red squares it takes to cover each shape and type it on the line next to each shape.
6) Remind students to save their work.
If you do not have Tool Factory Word Processor, print out the worksheet called Find the Area- Cut and Paste. Have your students cut out the red squares and paste them on each shape. Students can count the number of red squares used to cover each and write the area on the lines.
Have students use square floor tiles or ceiling tiles to find the area of the classroom.
Use blocks to cover items in the classroom (i.e. books, desks, shelves).
Have students use square stamps to create a shape and find the area of a classmate's shape.
Mac users: To download, ctrl-click on the worksheet and choose "save link to disk"
Find the Area
Find the Area 2
Find the Area 3
Find the Area 4
Find the Area Template
Find the Area Answer key
Find the Area- Cut and Paste
Click images to enlarge|