|Lesson 3 - Word Choice
All charts from previous lessons (links below)
This is a 7 part lesson using the 6 + 1 Traits of Writing
The objective for lesson 3 (Word Choice):
Students will be able to use their research to add detail to their fictional writing piece.
1. Go over what we have done already. Remind students that first we researched, then we organized our stories. Our next step is to write the story using details from our research.
2. Using the organizers from lesson 2, we are going to start writing a rough draft for the story. In order to do this, we need to look at our research so we can use good word choices. For example, instead of writing “the bear went back to his house” we should write “the bear went back to his den.” This shows knowledge and research of the bear.
3. Begin writing the story and ask the students to raise their hand when they see an opportunity to add details which were gathered during our research.
4. If you are short on time, have an exemplary story written in advance and model finding areas of the story where we need to look at our word choice to see if it matches our research. After demonstrating examples of poor word choice, have the students identify some areas in the story where a different word would be more appropriate and would add more detail to the story.
5. Have the students use their writer’s notebooks to write our rough draft. We want to really show what we have learned!
6. Invite questions.
7. Ask someone to say what they are going to do at their seats. Make sure they know they are writing their first draft in their writer’s notebooks using words they learned while researching.
8. Send students back to their desks and to get their notebooks.
9. Leave time at the end for students to share with the class, table, or a partner.
10. Have students put their notebooks away for tomorrow.
If they complete this, students can continue working on their story.
Tie your writing projects in with current social studies themes.
Lesson 1 - Research
Lesson 2 - Organization
Lesson 4 - Voice
Lesson 5 - Sentence Fluency
Lesson 6 - Conventions
4th Grade Teacher
Georgian Forest Elementary School
3100 Regina Drive
Silver Spring MD 20906
Phone: 301-460-2170 Fax: